December 26, 2017
We are pleased to announce that Scholastic India is organizing the Scholastic Writing Awards 2017-18 for outstanding original works by students of Classes IV to IX, in the category of fiction/short story in English.
- Registration and Submission- open till January 31, 2018 (11.30 PM, IST)
- Ranking Panel- February 1, 2018 – March 31, 2018
- Winners announcement-June, 2018
Word Limit: 1500-2500 words
Group 1 (classes 4-6)
- I pulled out a lightning bolt from the sky…
- There was someone knocking on my thirteenth floor window…
- The audience stood up in applause…
- The jalebis and samosa were calling me out
Group 2 (classes 7-9)
- And I came face to face with my evil doppelganger…
- I was falling through space…
- All the trees were turning yellow…
- I stumbled on a suitcase full of 1000 rupee notes on December 25, 2016.
Guidelines For Students On How To Write The Short Story:
- Read as much as you can. Familiarise yourself with different styles of writing but be original when it comes to your own work.
- Increase your word power. The greater your vocabulary, the more effective your writing will be.
- Read aloud what you have written and ask friends who read to comment on it as well.
- Use correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
- Keep a dictionary, a thesaurus and a basic grammar book handy.
- Don’t write in a rush. Spend a lot of time with your writing and make sure not to end your piece abruptly.
- Always carry a notepad and pen with you. Jot down out-of-the-blue thoughts, make a note of interesting observations; they’ll never go to waste when you’re writing.
- Please fill in all the required details in the online submission form. Incomplete forms will be disqualified.
- Plagiarised, copied or unoriginal stories will be disqualified.
- Disqualified entries will not be entitled to any certificates of participation.
- Only one entry per group will be accepted per participant.
- If any story is found to be plagiarised, copied or unoriginal, the entry will be disqualified.
- Entries received after the last date will be disqualified.
- Each participant has to read and rank the stories assigned to them before the deadline. Failing which the entry submitted by the participant will be disqualified.
- Go to the Scholastic India homepage scholastic.co.inand click on the Scholastic Writing Awards banner or go directly to the following url: http://swa.scholastic.co.in
- Click on Register.
- Fill in the details in the online form.
- Once you submit the form you will be sent a Log-in ID on the registered id.
- You can use this log-in ID to submit your entry.
- To submit an entry, simply log-in using your log-in ID and copy paste the text or key in the story.
- Make sure each submission also lists the name of the student, the class, the school and the address.
- An individual can submit only a single entry.
- For ranking the entries assigned to an individual, you have to use same log-in ID and password to log-in. Click on the icon START RANKING.
- Ranking panel will open from February 1, 2018.
- Group 1 entry will receive group 1 entry only for ranking and same applies for group 2.
- For confusions/queries please get in touch with us at email@example.comfirstname.lastname@example.org